Microsoft Graph Feature Requests

Welcome to the Microsoft Graph UserVoice! Do you have an idea or feature suggestion based on your experience with Microsoft Graph? Please share these with us by submitting your idea below or voting up ideas submitted by other users. This forum will be directly monitored by the Microsoft Graph engineering teams who are working on new features every day.

If you have feedback on a specific API service, please choose the corresponding category. Please submit any broad ideas related to Microsoft Graph or ideas across more than one service to the “General” category.

This site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you need technical help, please go to the Microsoft Graph StackOverflow or if you have a Premier support contract raise a support ticket.

For more information on Microsoft Graph, please checkout https://graph.microsoft.com.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to update the user's email aliases (proxyAddresses attribute).

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/ad/graph/api/entity-and-complex-type-reference#user-entity shows that we can GET, POST and PATCH the "otherMails" attribute of a user object. otherMails is described as "A list of additional email addresses for the user", which makes it sound like the user's email aliases. However, if you set this attribute, then look at the user in the Office365 Admin Center or Powershell, you see it's actually the "Alternate Email Address" attribute: i.e. the contact address required for admin accounts. In the Graph API the attribute that lists the email aliases is "proxyAddresses" and this is read-only (i.e. only supports GET). It's been explained to me by…

61 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

7 comments  ·  Users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add support for creating chat messages on the user endpoint

In the current graph beta, user chats and their messages can be enumerated using GET /users/{id}/chats and GET /users/{id}/chats/{id}/messages. However, new messages cannot be posted to the messages endpoint i.e POST /users/{id}/chats/{id}/messages . Please add this functionality.

The desired functionality exists for team channel messages by posting to the channel messages endpoint (POST /teams/{id}/channels/{id}/messages). Replicating this for user chats using the same json payload would seem to be the most appropriate solution.

59 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  Teamwork (Teams)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. [GraphAPI/Office 365 Rest API] please add support for notifications/subscription on Exchange RoomMailBox in delegated API permissions mode

GraphAPI/Office 365 Rest API, please add support for notifications/subscription on Exchange RoomMailBox in delegated mode.

In delegated API permission mode, we are able to get events from RoomMailBox calendar but not subscribe for notifications (webhooks) on events changes
    Each time we tried to create notification channel we got :
    "error": {

"code": "ExtensionError",

"message": "Operation: Create; Exception: [Status Code: Forbidden; Reason: Access is denied. Check credentials and try again.]",
    "innerError": {
    "request-id": "XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX",
    "date": "XXXXXXXXXXXXX"
    }
    }

Moreover, in Exchange, we have full access on RoomMailBox by using user account we used on delegated mode (user account impersonated). Push notifications…

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Calendar (Outlook)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide webhooks for Microsoft Teams messages.

We are integrating Microsoft Teams threaded chat into our product offering. Our users will interact with the channel-based chat using both the Microsoft Teams application and from within our application. To avoid polling, we would like to be able to subscribe to Microsoft Teams related events. Of interest are events related to new channel messages. We found similar subscriptions for files and email, but nothing related to Microsoft Teams.

See documentation for /subscription endpoints, Change notifications: "Use the Microsoft Graph API to get change notifications"

56 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Teamwork (Teams)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Make it possible to create organizational Contacts using graph API that appear in Exchange Global Address List (GAL)

It has been stated by the Office Dev Team that POST organizational contact will not be supported as...

"With the notion of guests now in Office 365, the decision has been made that Organizational contacts would not be needed moving forward."

For those of us developing with Exchange-centric customers this causes us to develop solutions that must connect to Exchange Online with accounts that do not have Multi-Factor Authentication enabled. Automation is hindered by having to constantly rotate new passwords (via Import-Clixml) and factor that into the code.

This is a security nightmare.

Not to mention, connecting to the…

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Mail (Outlook)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Public Folder Support in GRAPH API

We would like to be able rely less on EWS and move more processing to the GRAPH API

One critical thing we need is access to Public Folders. We need at a minimum for public folders:

1) Enumerate Heirarchy
    2) Create/Delete Folders
    3) CRUD for items in a folder

At the moment, we use the EWS public folder API's on behalf of 500 tenants.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Mail (Outlook)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. add ediscovery on Microsoft Graph API

Suggest to add ediscovery to microsoft Graph API to execute query automaticaly (search contents, advanced ediscovery)

51 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Enable $filter on group members

It's very important to be able to filter members of a group, for example to search for employees within an organization by name (e.g. 'startsWith').

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Groups  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This capability is now available in Microsoft Graph public preview. For an example please see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/group-list-members?view=graph-rest-beta&tabs=http#example-5-use-filter-to-get-group-membership-with-a-display-name-that-starts-with-the-letter-a-including-a-count-of-returned-objects.

NOTE: you’ll need to use a custom HTTP request header and request $count too, to enable this query capability.

See also related queries in the changelog entry https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/changelog#identity-and-access-azure-ad

9. expose “lastModifiedDateTime” on user

I need to retrieve the last modified date of user profiles in Office 365 from the Graph API.

Could you please provide the endpoint similar to https://graph.microsoft.com/beta/me/?$select=createdDateTime

But have it be for the last time the user profile was modified by the user or admin, would be awesome for it to be https://graph.microsoft.com/beta/me/?$select=lastModifiedDateTime

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Provide an API to get the user's activity stream (notifications) in Teams

We need to get the content of the user's acitvity stream in Teams. "All notifications" and "unread notifications" would be really helpful to create alternative visualizations.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Teamwork (Teams)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This work is on the backlog and currently isn’t scheduled. The feature will be updated here once dev work is started. -EY

11. Provide a Teams API To send direct messages to users

Currently, the only way to send messages is to post a message on a channel in a team. It would be great if there could be an API to send a direct message to the users. Please let me know if it already exists, because I could not find any such method in the chat object here :
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/api/resources/teams-api-overview?view=graph-rest-beta

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Teamwork (Teams)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Get SharePoint Security Groups/Members using Microsoft Graph

Enable Microsoft Graph to access SharePoint security groups and members along with respective permissions like Read/Edit/Full Control.

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16 comments  ·  Sites and Lists (SharePoint)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Raise or remove the limit on number of requests allowed in a batch

A limit of 5 is insufficient for my batching needs. Please remove this limitation entirely or raise it to a reasonable number (100+).

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. OData filter 'contains'

When searching a mailbox using OData QueryParams I can do
    '$filter': 'Subject eq /'Priority'/'
    but that only matches where the subject exactly equals that... I can't find all mails where subject begins with, ends, contains, does not begin with, does not ... you get where I'm going... there's a significant lack of richness in the filtering (and because $search is generic and across a number of fields while it's useful, it does not give me the specificity I need)

44 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Provide API access to AAD user MFA Properties

Would be good to not only retrieve the state of the authentication requirements, but the details around MFA as well: MFA Methods, etc (StrongAuthenticationMethod, StrongAuthenticationRequirement, StrongAuthenticationDetails that was available in PS for AAD V1)

42 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Microsoft Graph API Health endpoint

There should be some official endpoint created to programmatically check the health status of the Microsoft Graph API.

My application makes queries to the Graph API endpoint as part of the app's login process. I have built a health dashboard to notify me when external API's are having trouble. However, there is no specific Microsoft Graph endpoint that provides any status/health indicator for MS Graph API.

I appreciate your consideration.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Graph API to list the Mail forwarding details for all the users for a tenant using the auth token for global admin account

As a security monitoring expert for an organization, we need to get the details of all the users under a particular tenant to list the email forwarding user ids. Using this information the organization can evaluate the security profile. Currently, this information is available using PowerShell.

Suppose a user john@contosa.com has rule enabled to forward some or few of his mail to another email id. We want to have a list of such users.

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Users  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Graph SDK upload limit should be higher

Right now the Graph SDK upload limit is 4MB (http://graph.microsoft.io/en-us/docs/api-reference/v1.0/api/itemuploadcontent). It should be at least 100mb, such as OneDrive SDK provides (https://dev.onedrive.com/items/uploadput.htm)

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

In Backlog  ·  9 comments  ·  Mail (Outlook)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Support Azure Conditional Access for Microsoft Graph

A lot of Microsoft products does not work as expected due to the fact the Microsoft Graph does not support Azure Conditional Access. Among the applications I can mention is Microsoft Teams, ToDo, etc. that all rely on the Microsoft Graph and breaks to to limited support or no support for Azure Conditional Access.

Teams:
    https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com/forums/555103-public/suggestions/32657161-conditional-access-team-authentication

ToDo:
    https://todo.uservoice.com/forums/597175-feature-suggestions/suggestions/32007451-add-support-for-conditional-access

/Peter Selch Dahl - Azure MVP

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Identity and Access  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support for setting SharePoint Managed Metadata (taxonomy) column values and other complex column types on items via the Graph API

It is currently not possible to set the value of a Managed Metadata column on a SharePoint item using the Graph API.

Support for setting values on all standard SharePoint columns types is essential in the Graph API to drive adoption of this API. The following column types are currently not supported and have been raised in other UserVoice requests:

Picture and Hyperlink columns:
    https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions/32827402-support-for-sharepoint-hyperlink-or-picture-field

Lookup Item in List columns:
    https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions/32293726-support-sharepoint-lookup-fields-when-creating-lis

People & Groups columns:
    https://officespdev.uservoice.com/forums/224641-feature-requests-and-feedback/suggestions/32410633-support-writing-to-personorgroup-columns

39 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Sites and Lists (SharePoint)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for your feedback! This work is on the backlog and currently isn’t scheduled. The feature will be updated here once dev work has started. -EY

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base