Microsoft Graph Feature Requests

Welcome to the Microsoft Graph UserVoice! Do you have anidea or feature suggestion based on your experience with Microsoft Graph?Please share these with us by submitting your idea below or voting up ideassubmitted by other users. This forum will be directly monitored by theMicrosoft Graph engineering teams who are working on new features every day.

If you have feedback on a specific API service, pleasechoose the corresponding category. Please submit any broad ideas related toMicrosoft Graph or ideas across more than one service to the “General”category.

This site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If youneed technical help, please go to the Microsoft Graph StackOverflow or if you have a Premier support contract raise a support ticket.

For more information on the Microsoft Graph, please checkout https://graph.microsoft.com .

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. GraphQL API for the Microsoft Graph

Facebook's GraphQL is the perfect API solution for the Microsoft Graph. I highly encourage you to implement this, since it would improve development for React apps.

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

10 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback! We are doing some investigation into GraphQL. We’ll keep you posted.

Thanks!
    Office Extensibility Team

2. Raise or remove the limit on number of requests allowed in a batch

A limit of 5 is insufficient for my batching needs. Please remove this limitation entirely or raise it to a reasonable number (100+).

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Microsoft Word endpoints to the Microsoft Graph API

Microsoft Graph needs to allow access to Microsoft Word Documents by exposed API endpoints.

Basically, all the analogous functionality present in the excel endpoints should also be exposed for the respective similar functions that Microsoft word has.

Why can we not, create, edit, modify, add tables, etc, etc, in Microsoft Word through Microsoft Graph?

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. consistent retry-after information accross different workloads

Currently OneDrive, Outlook, and AAD Workloads under the Graph send a retry-after header on 429 and/or 503.
    However the documentation doesn't say which workloads support it https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/concepts/throttling and the other workloads don't support it.
    It'd make it easier if that was supported across the board to have a single way to handle those kind of issues.
    Same remark for the rate-limit headers
    related issues: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47146598/not-receiving-retry-after-headers-from-ms-graph-api
    https://github.com/microsoftgraph/msgraph-sdk-javascript/issues/42

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Today, all workloads are supposed to return 429 with a retry-after. We have been working hard to unify this across the API surface.
    We are reviewing if 503 should also be consistently used to represent cases when throttling occurs due to service state, as opposed to the specific app/user reaching their own individual limits.

5. Graph API to Microsoft Forms

Access to Microsoft Forms would be great! The ability to query form responses could be very beneficial.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Implementet full OData v4 query consistently across all graph endpoints

Currently the documentation says (as of 20th of April) that MS Graph query parameters are compatible with OData v4 queries.
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/docs/overview/query_parameters

This is not completely orthogonal as there are cases where some operations work and other cases where they don't.
    I've used the Graph Explorer to find out what works and what doesn't so far, but it isn't the ideal way.

Filter operations Contains/Concat/Trim/ToUpper/ToLower are not supported in /v1.0/users but some are supported in /v1.0/me/events.
    Furthermore it seems string comparisons are case insensitive, rendering ToUpper and ToLower meaningless. Using case sensitivity and allowing the use of ToUpper/ToLower would allow the…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Expose Office API via Swagger.

OK this is a radical idea from listening to @mkristensen talk about VS.NET tooling and how they are looking at supporting Swagger 2.0 to provide code generation for RESTful APIs in VSNET.

http://devchat.tv/adventures-in-angular/019-aia-microsoft-tooling-with-mads-kristensen

I looked up Swagger and their online documentation editor, and browser and here's an example

http://petstore.swagger.wordnik.com/#!/pet/updatePet

Which is surprisingly similar to Office 365's

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/dn600182(v=office.15).aspx

I think Office 365 documentation on MSDN should still be the primary resource. Any future tie in to API-Sandbox would be awesome.

But if VSNET starts to support auto-codegen (like the old days with WSDL/Soap Services) from Swagger documentation, then I can also…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make it possible to create organizational Contacts using graph API that appear in Exchange Global Address List (GAL)

It has been stated by the Office Dev Team that POST organizational contact will not be supported as...

"With the notion of guests now in Office 365, the decision has been made that Organizational contacts would not be needed moving forward."

For those of us developing with Exchange-centric customers this causes us to develop solutions that must connect to Exchange Online with accounts that do not have Multi-Factor Authentication enabled. Automation is hindered by having to constantly rotate new passwords (via Import-Clixml) and factor that into the code.

This is a security nightmare.

Not to mention, connecting to the…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Integrate PowerBI API into Graph API

PowerBI is a Office 365 service, so please integrate it into the Graph API!!
    We urgently need the integration of Power BI REST API into the Graph API for our customers.
    - The API needs to be accessible as a tenant, not only as a user.
    - We need the ability to programmatically deploy and get datasets, reports and dashboards to specific users and groups.
    - Statistics about usage.
    We need this in the Graph API to combine PowerBI data with the data in Office 365.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback about the Office Developer Platform. The team likes your idea and we want to look into it further, so we’ve moved it to the Investigation Queue.

11. Add Timing-Allow-Origin: * to MS Graph response headers

To allow consumers of Graph APIs to use the Resource Timing web browser API to get detailed request timing information when making cross-origin calls to MS Graph, the Timing-Allow-Origin header should be included in responses from MS Graph with a value of *.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Provide a Graph/O365 REST API to fetch subscription commitment (monthly or annual)

In the admin console I'm able to see the subscription commitment for each license (either monthly or annual). I want to be able to fetch that information through an API.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. 10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Add Microsoft Graph tutorial for PowerShell

My preferred language of PowerShell is not listed on the tutorials page:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/tutorials.

Please add a tutorial for accessing Microsoft Graph via PowerShell.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Whiteboard API

Are there plans to release the Whiteboard API and Docs? I'm curious and would want to build on the great experience that's been built so far. Thanks!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Expand the Graph Open Extension limitations

I'm attempting to use the Graph Extensions for my user data and keep running into limits put in place that I feel are too small. I either hit the 2KB limit per extension, or when I try to break it apart into logical extensions, I hit the error: "Maximum number of extensions values supported per application is 2"

I can provide our business case if needed.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add $filter support for webhook subscriptions

Currently we can only register webhooks to listen for all changes, adds, and deletes across a resource.

It would be really useful to add a $filter parameter so that we can pre-filter the entities that we receive notifications for rather than having to implement this logic in our receiver code, still requires a request to load the get the resource. this could reduce the number of graph requests necesary to support certain scenarios.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Increase webhook subscription from 3 days to about 6 months

From the developer's view, ideally the webhook subscription will never expire. But that's probably not practical.

The next best would be say 6month expiry. Because that means we still need to build a re-scheduling mechanism. But we don't have to run it every 3 days.

I believe if the expiry was too long say 1 or 2 years, the developers will leave without building a re-scheduler, so the webhook will just break in 1 year's time.

Currently, because the webhook subscription expires every three days, we are driving a behaviour where developers don't use webhooks - they just use scheduled…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We are working on extending the webhooks framework with new functionality, and this will also allow us to increase subscription lifetime. -EY

19. Get capabilities/APIs available to the current user or tenant

Microsoft Graph abstracts out different services into the single set of APIs, but in practice some services may or may not be available for particular user or tenant.

For example, Azure AD accounts without Office 365 do not have access to /me/people API (Outlook REST API), this API returns 404.

Currently there's no way to determine what capabilities or APIs are available without trying to call the API and handling the error.

Knowing such information in advance would make it possible to build user experiences adaptive to what's available.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Add timestamps to events received via web-hooks

Please could you add a timestamp showing the time an event was generated. Currently you have the following:

```
    {
    "value": [

{

"subscriptionId":"<subscription_guid>",
    "subscriptionExpirationDateTime":"2016-03-19T22:11:09.952Z",
    "clientState":"secretClientValue",
    "changeType":"created",
    "resource":"users/{user_guid}@<tenant_guid>/messages/{long_id_string}",
    "resourceData":
    {
    "@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Graph.Message",
    "@odata.id":"Users/{user_guid}@<tenant_guid>/Messages/{long_id_string}",
    "@odata.etag":"W/\"CQAAABYAAADkrWGo7bouTKlsgTZMr9KwAAAUWRHf\"",
    "id":"<long_id_string>"
    }
    }

]
    }
    ```

But adding a timestamp would help us order events accurately. Something like..

"createdAt" : "2016-03-19T22:11:09.952Z"

would be very helpful! Thanks.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  General  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base